August 27, 2015

Meeting Bond... James Bond

Who can resist James Bond? He's a legend. The British secret agent is one of the very few characters who has managed to survive 3 generations... despite cinematographic and technological advancement.

My parents watched Bond movies before I was born, I saw my first one "Moonraker" aged 13,  and I am now taking my kids to see Ian Fleming's latest adventures of 007.

So I jumped at the occasion when Mamita Cubana asked me if I would accompany her to the "Designing 007" exhibition to discover the design and style in James Bond films over the course of five decades, through a various themed areas and environments from 1962’s Dr. No to 2012’s Skyfall. It featured over 500 unforgettable objects, including costumes, gadgets, props, storyboards and models, some we recognised, many we had to explain to our kids.

Did you know that the code number 007 is from one of the key achievements of British naval intelligence, breaking the German diplomatic code in World War I?

Just thinking of how much work went into writing scripts with an old-fashion typewriter or drawing storyboards by hand because computers had not been invented yet, the processes exhibited were mind-boggling.

The piece de resistance must have been Ursula Andress' white bikini in "Dr. No" (1962) - cited as the most famous bikini of all time and an iconic moment in cinematic and fashion history - exposed next to Halle Berry's orange version in "Die Another Day" (2002).

I will hold that image in mind next time I graciously emerge out of the sea in my pink bikini!


James Bond is in Madrid


My favourite James Bond... Sean Connery, he starred in five films: 
Dr. No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, and Never Say Never Again


50 years of Bond style


Sketch of the Hotel Cala Di Volpe on the Italian island of Sardinia 
which inspired the setting for the movie "The Spy Who Loved Me" (1977)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...