May 17, 2015

My absolute favourite monument

I will never, ever tire of the Tour Eiffel. I pass by it every day and every time I stare at it in awe, not wanting to become like so many other locals who take such an incredible work of art for granted.

Erected in 1889 as the entrance arch to the 1889 World's Fair, it was initially criticised by some of France's leading artists and intellectuals for its design, but has become both a global cultural icon of France and one of the most recognizable structures in the world. The tower is the tallest structure in Paris and the most-visited paid monument in the world; 7'097'302 people ascended it in 2014.

I like to believe that "La dame de fer" has become my confidente and friend that I greet every morning when I jog past her...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...