September 10, 2014

Paris is always a good idea!

It's time to leave... in theory!

The plan was to stay in Paris for three years, the typical expat length of stay. By now, I should have been either in full swing preparation for our next move or already scouting out our new location en-lieu.

Instead I am sitting here at my desk in Paris.

Not a bad option you might think. I have come to the same conclusion!
But let me start at the beginning.

We are a family that LIKE moving. In my theory you either do it once or twice and then you're done or else... you are hooked! I am hooked!

I will quite happily move from Shanghai to New York and from Singapore to Rio, as long as it is a big city with an acceptable climate!

The kids have adapted and know it is part of the game. They know we follow Daddy's work which nowadays is a privilege in itself!

It became quite clear about a year ago that plans might change and sure enough there is no move on the horizon, not even on the far horizon.

The kids are at secondary school and at an age where it is probably a good thing that we are carving ourselves a new "permanent" home. My hubby loves his job and I, well, I am starting to think Paris is probably the best place to be in Europe (apart from Madrid, of course).

It is true, we say farewell to friends year after year but we also continue to meet new interesting people. By now, I consider myself part of the Welcome Back committee to all my friends who have moved on and systematically return to visit. It is a treat to reunite with them, even if only for a day.

I am getting so good at it, I have been asked by the school to help organise a Welcome Workshop for new parents arriving to Paris this year. There is no other project I'd rather help doing.

As Audrey Hepburn once said: "Paris is always a good idea!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...